Thursday, October 9, 2008

I have a Dream…

Ok, so I don't know if I 'have' a dream…but I did have a dream. Since it included one of my favorite blogger friends, I thought that I would enlighten you with my amusing and confusing dream:

So the scene starts with my family…


It was the beginning of a holiday weekend and we had decided as a family to go camping. We were excited and hurriedly getting our camping gear together – sleeping bags, tents, etc.; When all of a sudden The "Smith" Family drives up in their RV*. They ask us if we are going camping for the weekend. We tell them that we are and ask them the same. They say that they are and ask if we would like to join them. As we love to hang out with the Smith family we agree to join them.

*The last names have been changed to protect the innocent ;)

We load our stuff into compartments on the side of the RV and get on board (strange I thought…this RV is too little to have undercarriage storage compartments, isn't it?). Now to give you an image on what we saw when we boarded the RV I will give you two cinematic references…think Mary Poppin's bag meets Harry Potter's tent, rolled into an RV. As we get on the ordinary looking RV, we enter something that is unexpected and magnificent. The RV is quite a bit larger inside then it looks on the outside. It also has a very strange setup that is uncharacteristic of usual RVs.


The front half of the RV is more like a bus…one of those high end team buses used for away games. Comfortable chairs with personal screen TV's in the arms. There are about 10 rows of these. The children are delighted. The back of the vehicle looks like the high end, take up half a city block, costs ½ a mill, mobile home on wheels, grandiose RV. So for the purpose of this blog…we will now call the Bus/RV the Rus-V. As we piled into the Rus-V the kids were of course delighted by what they saw. We had them sit down (our 5 and their 2) in the Bus part and secure their seat belts. They were of course delighted to do so because, their seats, along with the personal TV's, came equipped with personal gaming systems that were interactive with other players on the bus. They were in seventh heaven.


The adults moved to the middle of the Rus-V and the Smiths rolled out a large map of the United States. Now, I knew that it was the United States because #1, it said so on the top, and #2, I recognized many state names from the map, but in the back of my mind as I looked at the map…something seemed inherently wrong with it. Why was Blythe located in the middle lower section of the US...and all of the other states seemed jumbled as well? At least jumbled from what I could remember of my elementary geography days. That was odd, but no one else seemed to see a problem with it so I thought I must be mistaken.


Mr. Smith…being the ever prepared, letter of the law, we must have a plan type that he is…detailed where we would be going on our camping trip (apparently they owned land in Colorado??? I didn't know that), how we would get there and flung out a chart of driving responsibilities and times. That again, seemed odd…how did he know that we would agree to the trip and did the route really take us from Blythe straight up through Nebraska up to Colorado?...that doesn't seem right.

Mrs. Smith in her, ever happy, optimistic, fun-loving, adventurous, annoyed that her husband can't just go with the flow tone, said "We don't need a chart for driving! If someone gets tired we will just trade off." She them turned to me and gave me an 'I can't believe that he made a chart' look of disapproval. I laughed.


Then my husband, in his accounting, must keep the cost down and watch the bottom line tone, agreed- that however Mr. Smith would like to organize it would be fine with him. He then whipped out a calculator (an unusually large one, I might add…when did he start carrying that thing around?) and started calculating mileage and asking questions like, "How many miles to a gallon does this thing get," and "if we take this route here (pointing to the map) that will minimize our total miles and lower our overhead". We girls looked at each other in disbelief. Silly boys we collectively thought.

So the plan was set…we decided that the route would take us one day to drive each way and we would stay three nights camping, fishing, hiking and whatever else we thought sounded like fun. (At this point in the dream…I wondered if this 5 day excursion really fit into our 3 day holiday…but I dismissed the notion as I did not want to be the wet blanket. Maybe time was like the Rus-V...small on the outside, but packed full???)


Then Aidan, my little two year old came over to me in the Rus-V and started tugging on my sleeve and whining that he needed to go potty. I told him to go ahead. He kept pulling on my sleeve and whining and that made me wonder how in the world a two year old could reach my sleeve, was he standing on something….


I woke up in bed to my two year old whining and pulling on my sleeve (see, because I was low on a bed, he could reach just fine). I realized that the whole Rus-V thing was a dream and took Aidan to the potty. Strange dream…but now at least all of the strange things made sense to me cuz my dreams are always exaggerated and strange, especially when I am pregnant! OK, I JUST NOTICED THAT MAKES IT SOUNDS LIKE I AM PREGNANT...I AM NOT! SORRY

________________________________________________

Can you name the ever cute, adventurous family from my story? Please, first names only. If you are the first one to name them then you will win a virtual prize. J See, aren't my dreams fun!

________________________________________________

Special Note: All characterizations are dramatized for the purpose of setting the scene of the larger than life dream and are made with a full love for the people that I have characterized. Their quirky natures make them dear to my heart and special people for who they are. We love them for their quirks not despite them.

3 comments:

B.T.B.B. said...

Do I win the Prize? It's us! I love you soooooooooo much. You are seriously too cute! You have figured us out. Oh and by the way, we do own property in Co. and our RV is an optical illusion! It is the Mary Poppins bag on wheels! Just kidding about the CO part, but maybe it was some sort of revalation. And if this dream wasn't about the btbb fam just disregard this message.

Barnard Family said...

Miss Trish is the winner!

Kar said...

How funny! I can't believe how well you remembered that dream!! I can't ever, ever remember mine.

Recent Comments