Thursday, October 4, 2012

Yum-o!

My kids need a quick breakfast on the run some morning and I need something cheap! They love those breakfast French toast sticks so we decided to make some and freeze them.

The trick was getting them sweet so that we didn't have to hassle with syrup in the morning.

Luckily my darling daughter had mistakenly made butterscotch pudding with water instead of milk the day before. I saved it...why? Because I was determined to find a way to salvage this yummy butterscotch liquid. (In case you were wondering pudding doesn't set up when made with water instead of milk, no matter how much you stir, whip or otherwise beat the mixture).

So came this idea of making a sweetened French toast. I used regular bread instead of Texas toast style which is essentially just cut thicker. The end product will not be as fat and squarish but it will still work out for the kidlets (I probably used a dozen medium sized eggs). We have chickens so the eggs are free, well not free but available with no additional out of pocket. Spent a dollar on the loaf of bread and probably fifty cents on the butterscotch pudding, for a grand total of $1.50. There were 24 slices of bread in the loaf and I cut each into 4 pieces. Four "sticks" makes a serving so 24 servings. This is equal to about two boxes of the professional stuff at about $10 a pop, saving me $18.50.

Not a savings for this busy super mom on the go!

No comments:

Recent Comments